How can I minimize the side effects of PrandiMet?

To minimize the side effects of the diabetes drug PrandiMet (repaglinide and metformin), be sure to follow your doctor's instructions carefully. Avoid drinking large amounts of alcohol or drinking alcohol frequently. Alcohol can increase the risk for developing a serious side effect called lactic acidosis. To lower your risk of lactic acidosis, you should also be sure to let your doctor know about any medical conditions you have, or previously had. Kidney problems raise your risk of this side effect, as do some other conditions.

You should also monitor your blood sugar level as directed to ensure it stays within a safe range. Like all drugs that lower blood sugar, PrandiMet can cause hypoglycemia -- excessively low blood sugar. Your doctor will likely start you on low dose of the repaglinide portion of PrandiMet to reduce the risk that your blood sugar will fall too low.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...