How can I minimize the side effects of PrandiMet?

To minimize the side effects of the diabetes drug PrandiMet (repaglinide and metformin), be sure to follow your doctor's instructions carefully. Avoid drinking large amounts of alcohol or drinking alcohol frequently. Alcohol can increase the risk for developing a serious side effect called lactic acidosis. To lower your risk of lactic acidosis, you should also be sure to let your doctor know about any medical conditions you have, or previously had. Kidney problems raise your risk of this side effect, as do some other conditions.

You should also monitor your blood sugar level as directed to ensure it stays within a safe range. Like all drugs that lower blood sugar, PrandiMet can cause hypoglycemia -- excessively low blood sugar. Your doctor will likely start you on low dose of the repaglinide portion of PrandiMet to reduce the risk that your blood sugar will fall too low.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
Does long-acting insulin cause less weight gain?
Long-acting insulin (such as Lantus and Levemir) and newer premixed insulin (such as Humulog 50/...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...