How can I minimize the side effects of Glucovance?

You can minimize the side effects of the diabetes drug Glucovance by taking it exactly as your doctor prescribes it. To reduce the likelihood that you will experience very low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) or other side effects, such as stomach pains and upset, your doctor may start you on a low dose. Her or she may ask you to take a slightly higher dose each day for the next week or two until you reach the best dose for you. Taking the medication with meals may also help reduce side effects.

Glucovance may make you more sensitive to sunlight, so you should limit your sun exposure, wear protective clothes and use sunscreen. Drinking alcohol can worsen this drug's side effects, so talk with your doctor about how much alcohol, if any, is safe to drink. Certain medications can interact with Glucovance and cause side effects; you can reduce your risk by telling your doctor about all your medicines (prescription and nonprescription), supplements and herbal remedies. You should also give your doctor a complete medical history because some conditions make it more dangerous to take Glucovance. Be especially careful to let your doctor know if you have (or had) heart, liver or kidney problems, adrenal, pituitary or thyroid disorders, diabetic ketoacidosis or glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) deficiency.

Pay attention to how you feel on Glucovance and let your doctor know about any symptoms, especially ones that bother you or don't go away.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...
How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...