How can I minimize the side effects of repaglinide and metformin?

To minimize the potential side effects of repaglinide and metformin (PrandiMet), a combination drug that's used to treat type 2 diabetes, take it exactly as your doctor prescribes. Monitor your blood sugar levels as directed, and let your doctor know if they stray outside of your healthy range.

One possible side effect of this drug that can be very serious is a condition called lactic acidosis. It occurs when too much of the metformin in the medication accumulates in the body. This can happen if you drink too much alcohol or drink too often. If you drink, talk to your doctor about how much alcohol is safe while you're taking repaglinide and metformin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
Sulfonylurea drugs are used to treat type 2 diabetes. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abd...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...