How can I minimize the side effects of repaglinide and metformin?

To minimize the potential side effects of repaglinide and metformin (PrandiMet), a combination drug that's used to treat type 2 diabetes, take it exactly as your doctor prescribes. Monitor your blood sugar levels as directed, and let your doctor know if they stray outside of your healthy range.

One possible side effect of this drug that can be very serious is a condition called lactic acidosis. It occurs when too much of the metformin in the medication accumulates in the body. This can happen if you drink too much alcohol or drink too often. If you drink, talk to your doctor about how much alcohol is safe while you're taking repaglinide and metformin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...