How can I minimize the side effects of Apidra in my child?

You can minimize your child’s risk of side effects from the diabetes drug Apidra (insulin glulisine) by following the doctor's instructions exactly. Do not change or alter your child’s dose without talking to the doctor first, and make sure he or she has a complete list of your child’s medications to help avoid possible interactions.

Other strategies that can minimize side effects include helping your child maintain a healthy diet and regular eating schedule, rotating the injection site with each dose and checking blood sugar levels regularly (ask your doctor how often you should test and what the levels should be). Don't give Apidra if your child’s blood sugar levels are low. Also, always check the medication label to make sure you’re administering the right insulin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...