How many times a day do I take pramlintide?

Your doctor will likely tell you to give yourself an injection of pramlintide before each meal. Be aware that pramlintide can interact with insulin to cause a severe drop in blood sugar within just a few hours. So, when you first start treatment with pramlintide, you will need to lower your usual dose of rapid or short-acting insulin before meals to about half the amount you usually take until you are on a maintenance dose of pramlintide. Then insulin doses may be readjusted as needed.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...