How common is lactic acidosis in people taking glyburide and metformin?

The potentially life-threatening adverse reaction known as lactic acidosis is rare among people taking glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance). It occurs in one out of more than 30,000 people taking metformin, but it is fatal in roughly half of all cases.

To minimize the risk of this condition, have your kidney and liver function tested before you start glyburide and metformin (especially if you are a senior), and avoid this drug if you drink large amounts of alcohol.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...