How common is lactic acidosis in people taking glyburide and metformin?

The potentially life-threatening adverse reaction known as lactic acidosis is rare among people taking glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance). It occurs in one out of more than 30,000 people taking metformin, but it is fatal in roughly half of all cases.

To minimize the risk of this condition, have your kidney and liver function tested before you start glyburide and metformin (especially if you are a senior), and avoid this drug if you drink large amounts of alcohol.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Is long-acting insulin better for lowering blood sugar before eating?
Yes,long-acting insulin (Lantus or Levemir) is better than short-acting insulin (regular) at lower...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Rosiglitazone (Avandia) and pioglitazone (ACTOS) are in a group of drugs called thiazolidinediones. ...