How does Janumet interact with other medications or foods?

Janumet works to help regulate blood sugar and insulin levels in the body and can therefore have interactions with other drugs that affect blood sugar, as well as with foods. Diabetes is a condition in which the body is unable to properly regulate blood sugar levels, which are largely dependent upon the diet and eating patterns. Certain foods, such as sugary, processed carbohydrates, can cause rapid spikes in blood sugar levels, which can be dangerous for diabetic persons. Additionally, inconsistent eating patterns and strenuous exercise can cause blood sugar levels to become too high or low. Hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) can both be dangerous conditions that require immediate medical attention. Although Janumet helps to regulate blood sugar levels, blood sugar can still rise too high or fall too low when influenced by dietary factors and other drugs. To avoid dangerous interactions, it is important to follow your doctor’s guidance in regards to dietary restrictions and to inform your doctor of all other medications you may be taking when taking Janumet. Additionally, it is important to know the signs of high and low blood sugar, and to be prepared to treat these conditions should they arise.

Medications that can have adverse interactions with Janumet include diuretics, steroids, phenothiazines, thyroid medications, oral contraceptives, anti-convulsants, NSAIDs, aspirin, sulfa drugs, MAOIs, and beta blockers.  

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Is long-acting insulin better for lowering blood sugar before eating?
Yes,long-acting insulin (Lantus or Levemir) is better than short-acting insulin (regular) at lower...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
The first oral medications for people with type 2 diabetes, sulfonylureas stimulate the pancreas to ...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...