How does the combination of repaglinide and metformin work?

Each of the active ingredients in repaglinide and metformin (PrandiMet) works in complementary ways to control blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes in several ways. Repaglinide triggers the pancreas to produce insulin, which makes it possible for the body's cells to take in the glucose needed for energy. Metformin decreases both the production of glucose (sugar) by the liver and the absorption of glucose by the intestines.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

what are thiazolidinediones ?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
what is rosiglitazone (avandia ) and is it safe to treat diabetes ?
Avandia improves how insulin is used in your body. It also decreases the amount of sugar released by...
will i need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes ?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
what should i know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors ?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...