How can I avoid an upset stomach when taking Byetta?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Byetta, nationwide, makes a lot of folks very sick to their stomachs when they first start it. We’ve had very little trouble at our clinic and I think it’s our approach. We spend a lot of time emphasizing how you are not going to need to eat as much as you used to. We’ll make you buy smaller plates. Eat tiny servings, wait, assess whether or not you are still hungry, then eat more if indicated.

Some people with type 2 diabetes find they only eat 10% of what they used to. But they feel full, energetic, and happy (so in reality they were overeating by 90%). The drug doesn’t really cause you to lose weight. It causes you to eat what you need, and that’s what causes the weight loss. The trick to succeeding with Byetta is to truly tune in to what your body is telling you.
The Born-Again Diabetic: The handbook to help you get your diabetes in control (again)

Much has been written about the explosion of diabetes on the world stage the 4,000 new cases a day we all know about, the millions of people unaware they have diabetes. But another epidemic is...

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...
Does liraglutide cause any side effects?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...