How does Actos (pioglitazone) interact with other medications or food?

Before taking Actos, tell your doctor if you take birth control that affects hormone levels (particularly the pill, implants, rings, patches, or injections), estrogen, Lipitor, midazolam,rifampin, or topiramate. It may be necessary to change your prescribed dosage of these medicines or be more vigilant for certain side effects.

It is not necessary to take Actos (pioglitazone) with food. Actos does not cause low blood sugar; however, when taken with other diabetes medications, low blood sugar can occur. You may need food or drink to respond to low blood sugar. Follow your doctor's instructions on how to respond to a low blood sugar incident.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
Does liraglutide interact with any other medications?
Liraglutide can affect the absorption of some oral medications; it is important that the healthcare ...