Can my elderly parent take miglitol?

Miglitol (Glyset) is given alone or in combination with other type 2 diabetes medications to help control blood sugar. It works to slow the absorption of the carbohydrates. Before your elderly parent takes miglitol you should check with their pharmacist or doctor to make sure they are not taking any conflicting medicines. Miglitol was studied in a population of patients over the age of 65, and there were no observable differences in its safety or effectiveness.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...
What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...