Can my elderly parent take miglitol?

Miglitol (Glyset) is given alone or in combination with other type 2 diabetes medications to help control blood sugar. It works to slow the absorption of the carbohydrates. Before your elderly parent takes miglitol you should check with their pharmacist or doctor to make sure they are not taking any conflicting medicines. Miglitol was studied in a population of patients over the age of 65, and there were no observable differences in its safety or effectiveness.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...
How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
People with type 1 diabetes and people with type 2 diabetes who take insulin can work with their die...