Does pramlintide treat more than one condition?

Pramlintide is approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to help treat high blood sugars associated with two conditions: type 1 diabetes mellitus and type 2 diabetes mellitus, when insulin therapy is not acheiving blood glucose goals. Insulin is necessary for glucose to be taken into most all cells of the body for use as fuel.

In type 1 diabetes, the body is not able to make any insulin, so an outside source of insulin is needed; insulin is taken as an injection.
In type 2 diabetes, the body is able to make some, but not enough, insulin; or not enough insulin is taken into the cells, so oral non-insulin medicines are needed to get glucose into the cells and insulin is added when necessary. If insulin is not working as well as desired, adding pramlintide helps to lower blood sugar level.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
How does Novolog Flexpen treat diabetes?
In type 1 diabetes, the pancreas fails to produce insulin. Your body needs insulin to convert blood ...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...