Can I use glyburide and metformin if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor about the potential risks of taking glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance). He or she will be able to help determine whether the benefits of this combination medication for type 2 diabetes are big enough that you should stop nursing in order to take it. Some animal studies have found that metformin passes into breast milk. There are no good studies in women, but experts say it's possible that the medication could cause low blood sugar in a nursing infant.

If you have type 2 diabetes and can't keep your blood sugar under control through diet and exercise, your doctor may suggest that you take insulin while you are breastfeeding, rather than glyburide and metformin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
How effective is liraglutide?
People taking liraglutide for a year along with a program of diet and exercise lost an average of 18...
Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...
Does premlintide have any side effects?
Side effects of pramlintide may include nausea, headaches, loss of appetite, vomiting, abdominal pai...