Can I use glyburide and metformin if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, talk to your doctor about the potential risks of taking glyburide and metformin (brand name: Glucovance). He or she will be able to help determine whether the benefits of this combination medication for type 2 diabetes are big enough that you should stop nursing in order to take it. Some animal studies have found that metformin passes into breast milk. There are no good studies in women, but experts say it's possible that the medication could cause low blood sugar in a nursing infant.

If you have type 2 diabetes and can't keep your blood sugar under control through diet and exercise, your doctor may suggest that you take insulin while you are breastfeeding, rather than glyburide and metformin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...