Can I take Glucovance if I am breastfeeding?

If you are breastfeeding, it may be unsafe to take Glucovance (glyburide and metformin). Glucovance, a treatment for type 2 diabetes, is a combination of two drugs. Animal studies suggest that one of those drugs, metformin, passes into breast milk. If a baby gets metformin through breast milk, his blood sugar may fall, which can be dangerous. If you have type 2 diabetes and cannot control your blood sugar through diet and exercise alone, your doctor may suggest that you take insulin, rather than Glucovance, while you are breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...