Can Symlin interact with other medications or foods?

The diabetes drug Symlin (pramlintide) can interact with a number of drugs, and the results can be dangerous. Though it does not interact with any foods, it's essential that you eat a meal after injecting it and that the meal contain at least 250 calories and 30 grams of carbohydrates.

Symlin works by slowing the movement of food through your stomach, which keeps your blood sugar from getting too high after a meal. Because it works this way, you should not take certain drugs that affect your gastrointestinal tract while you're on Symlin. These drugs include anticholinergic medications (such as atropine) and drugs called alpha-glucosidase inhibitors, both of which can slow down the digestion of starches.

Other drugs can increase the risk that Symlin will make your blood sugar fall too low. These drugs include:

• other oral medications for diabetes
  • angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors
  • beta-blockers such as atenolol (Tenormin), propranolol (Inderal) and others
  • fluoxetine (Prozac, Sarafem)
  • sulfonamide antibiotics, such as trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole (Bactrim, Septra)

That is just a partial list, so be sure to tell your doctor about all your medications (prescription and over-the-counter), as well as herbal and dietary supplements before you start taking Symlin. Once you're on Symlin, don't take any new drugs without speaking with your doctor first.

Symlin can also delay the absorption of certain other medications. People who need to take pain relievers, for example, should take these medications at least one hour before or two hours after a Symlin injection. Talk to your doctor about when to take other medications while you're on Symlin.

Finally, even though Symlin is meant to be taken with insulin, it's important to remember not to mix the drugs together. Each injection should be administered separately.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Sulfonylureas are a class of oral medicine for type 2 diabetes. They lower blood glucose by helping ...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
What should I know before taking liraglutide?
Liraglutide is not recommended for children and teens under age 18. If you have had thyroid cancer ...