Can I drink alcohol while taking acarbose?

While you are taking acarbose (also known as Precose) to help control your blood sugar levels, you should avoid drinking alcoholic beverages. Alcohol can worsen your sugar control as it provides a source of additional calories. However, it can also lower blood sugar and may increase the risk of hypoglycemia. You can also get hypoglycemia while taking acarbose if you are under stress, skip a meal or exercise too much. Symptoms of low blood sugar may include:
  • Headaches
  • Nausea
  • Confusion
  • Drowsiness
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Blurred vision
  • Racing heartbeat
  • Sweating
  • Trouble concentrating

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
What is rosiglitazone (Avandia) and is it safe to treat diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Avandia, as of today, remains on the US market. However, it has been “banned” in Europe due to conce...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pramlintide (brand name Symlin) is a synthetic form of the hormone amylin, which is produced along w...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...