Is it safe to use DiaBeta if I am breastfeeding?

Doctors don’t know if it's safe to use the diabetes drug DiaBeta (glyburide) while you're breastfeeding, so it may be wise to switch medications unless you have a compelling reason to stick with DiaBeta.

Experts don't know if DiaBeta passes into breast milk, but similar medications (a class called sulfonylureas) do. Because the medication may trigger low blood sugar in nursing babies, your doctor may suggest you discontinue either DiaBeta or nursing. If you choose to keep breastfeeding, you may be advised to switch from DiaBeta to insulin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
Is the newer premixed insulin better for lowering blood sugar?
The newer premixed insulins (Humalog 50/50, Humalog 75/25, Novolog 70/30) work better than the o...
What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...