Is it safe to use DiaBeta if I am breastfeeding?

Doctors don’t know if it's safe to use the diabetes drug DiaBeta (glyburide) while you're breastfeeding, so it may be wise to switch medications unless you have a compelling reason to stick with DiaBeta.

Experts don't know if DiaBeta passes into breast milk, but similar medications (a class called sulfonylureas) do. Because the medication may trigger low blood sugar in nursing babies, your doctor may suggest you discontinue either DiaBeta or nursing. If you choose to keep breastfeeding, you may be advised to switch from DiaBeta to insulin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Sulfonylureas are a class of oral medicine for type 2 diabetes. They lower blood glucose by helping ...
When should I call my doctor about problems taking Novolin?
Yes. Norelgestromin-ethinyl estradiol transdermal (Ortho Evra) is a birth control patch applied ...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...