Can Amaryl interact with other medications or foods?

Amaryl (glimepiride) is not known to interact with any foods, but it may interact with certain medications. While taking Amaryl to control your type 2 diabetes, follow a healthy diet and exercise to get the most benefit. Medications that may interact with Amaryl include:
  • blood thinners
  • painkillers such as aspirin, ibuprofen and naproxen
  • beta-blockers
  • disopyramide
  • hormonal contraceptives and hormone replacement pills, including birth control pills or patches and estrogen
  • insulin and other diabetes drugs
  • monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) and fluoxetine, both used to treat depression
  • cold and asthma medications
  • oral miconazole and fluconazole, used to treat fungal infections
  • oral steroids
  • phenytoin
  • probenecid
  • niacin
  • quinolone, fluoroquinolon and sulfa antibiotics
  • other antibiotics, such as chloramphenicol, clarithromycin and rifampin
  • thyroid medications
  • diuretics (water pills)
  • topical pain medications, such as those with salicylate
Talk to your doctor about medications you take before you start Amaryl. You may need additional monitoring to make sure Amaryl does not interact with any of them.

You should avoid using alcohol while taking Amaryl, since it can worsen some of the side effects of this drug. Drinking alcohol while taking Amaryl can also cause flushing of the face, headache, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, blurred vision, difficulty breathing and other symptoms.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Is long-acting insulin better for lowering blood sugar before eating?
Yes,long-acting insulin (Lantus or Levemir) is better than short-acting insulin (regular) at lower...
What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...