Is Avandaryl safe for pregnant or breast-feeding women?

Avandaryl is not safe for pregnant women. It is considered a Category C drug throughout all three trimesters. This means that animal studies have shown that the drug may cause birth defects or that there has not yet been enough research to confirm the drug's effects on the developing fetus. There is not enough data to confirm whether Avandaryl is safe for women to take while breast-feeding. You should discuss with your doctor the risks to a nursing infant. It is important to keep your diabetes under control at all times, so be sure to speak with your doctor before discontinuing your Avandaryl treatment.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Do alpha-glucosidase inhibitors have any drug interactions?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Drugs that may cause hyperglycemia or hypoglycemia need to be administered with caution to prevent l...
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If y...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...