Are there any risks in taking Janumet?

There are certain risks associated with taking Janumet. In particular, dangerous episodes of low or high blood sugar can occur, especially when taking Janumet with other medications that affect blood sugar levels. Another serious risk involved in taking Janumet is the possibility of a condition called lactic acidosis, a buildup of lactic acid in the blood that can be fatal. Kidney problems, liver problems, heart failure, frequent alcohol use, and dehydration can further increase your risk for lactic acidosis: you should tell your doctor if you have any of these conditions prior to taking Janumet. Finally, certain radiological tests that use injected dyes can pose a threat to your health if you are taking Janumet. Your doctor will want you to temporarily stop taking Janumet if you need to have one of these tests performed.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...
What are sulfonylurea drugs for treating diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Sulfonylureas are a class of oral medicine for type 2 diabetes. They lower blood glucose by helping ...
What is Symlin (pramlintide acetate) for diabetes?
The only medication specifically approved by the FDA for treating those with type 1 diabetes other t...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...