Are there any risks in taking glipizide-metformin?

Hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, lactic acidosis and diabetic ketoacidosis are some of the serious risks associated with type 2 diabetes and the use of glipizide-metformin. Since glipizide-metformin changes your blood sugar levels, it is possible that any of these blood sugar conditions can occur. These conditions should be treated with immediate medical attention. In rare cases, glipizide-metformin may cause a severe allergic reaction that leads to difficulty breathing, swelling in the face or throat and hives. If you develop these symptoms, get medical attention immediately. More common side effects of glipizide-metformin may include dizziness, headaches, joint or muscle pain, mild nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach, sneezing or cough. Other side effects may be possible, so talk to your doctor if any new or unusual symptoms develop while taking glipizide-metformin.

Certain preexisting conditions can also put you at risk of side effects while you are taking glipizide-metformin. These conditions include adrenal and pituitary gland problems, vitamin B12 deficiency, low blood sugar, acid in the blood, blood poisoning, surgery, dehydration, kidney and liver disease, heart or blood vessel disorders, congestive heart failure and malnourishment. Also, the use of alcohol can put you at risk for glipizide-metformin complications. If you are pregnant, plan on becoming pregnant, or are breastfeeding, you should speak with your doctor before taking this medication.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...