What is the dosage of Lantus for a patient with a glucose reading of 200?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Whoa! Hold it! Stop! Set down the syringe, back away, and no one gets hurt.

Lantus is in no way, shape, or form the right medication to fix a single high blood sugar. Lantus is a time release insulin that works a little at a time over 24 hours. It’s designed to create a good solid foundation for your diabetes control. Using it to try and fix a high would be like using napalm to kill mosquitoes.

High blood sugars can be lowered with fast-acting injections. Instead of working slowly over an entire day, fast insulins start working in 20 minutes, peak in two hours, and are gone and out of your system in four hours. How much you would need to take to fix a 200 is highly variable and depends on what type of diabetic you are, when you last ate, what your other medications are, how heavy you are, and whether the moon is in Mercury or Mars.

Fast-acting, used right, is a great med and does a great job. Talk to your doctor about whether fast-acting insulin is right for you.

But you don’t used a machete when a scalpel is required.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
What should I know before taking alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, alpha-glucosidase inhibitors m...
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should...
How do meglitinide drugs help treat diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
The meglitinides Prandin and Starlix prompt the body to make more insulin. They are fast-acting and ...