Are there any risks associated with taking Duetact?

There are risks associated with taking Duetact, a drug that combines glimepiride and pioglitazone, and is taken for type 2 diabetes. It is classified as pregnancy Category C drug. Although it has not been studied in humans, animal studies indicate it may cause miscarriages and slow fetal development. If you already are taking it when you become pregnant, you and your doctor should weigh the pros and cons of staying on the drug. The pioglitazone in Duetact can cause swelling, which can then lead to congestive heart failure. Rapid weight gain, bloating, swelling, fatigue and shortness of breath all can be symptoms of this serious risk. You should not take Duetact if you are allergic to any of its ingredients, or if you've had an allergic reaction to other medications called sulfonamide derivatives. Tell your doctor about any drug allergies or medication reactions you've had in the past. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
More Answers
Do sulfonylureas interact with any other medications?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
If you are taking bosentan, you should not take glyburide and avoid tolbutamide if possible. If you...
More Answers
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
More Answers
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.