Are there any risks associated with taking Duetact?

There are risks associated with taking Duetact, a drug that combines glimepiride and pioglitazone, and is taken for type 2 diabetes. It is classified as pregnancy Category C drug. Although it has not been studied in humans, animal studies indicate it may cause miscarriages and slow fetal development. If you already are taking it when you become pregnant, you and your doctor should weigh the pros and cons of staying on the drug. The pioglitazone in Duetact can cause swelling, which can then lead to congestive heart failure. Rapid weight gain, bloating, swelling, fatigue and shortness of breath all can be symptoms of this serious risk. You should not take Duetact if you are allergic to any of its ingredients, or if you've had an allergic reaction to other medications called sulfonamide derivatives. Tell your doctor about any drug allergies or medication reactions you've had in the past. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

Does liraglutide cause any side effects?
Side effects may include headache, indigestion, nausea, low blood sugar, diarrhea, constipation, vom...
If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What is exenatide for diabetes?
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
How do Januvia and Onglyza help treat diabetes?
Onglyza (saxagliptin) is approved for use by people with type 2 diabetes which is also being control...