Are there any risks associated with taking Duetact?

There are risks associated with taking Duetact, a drug that combines glimepiride and pioglitazone, and is taken for type 2 diabetes. It is classified as pregnancy Category C drug. Although it has not been studied in humans, animal studies indicate it may cause miscarriages and slow fetal development. If you already are taking it when you become pregnant, you and your doctor should weigh the pros and cons of staying on the drug. The pioglitazone in Duetact can cause swelling, which can then lead to congestive heart failure. Rapid weight gain, bloating, swelling, fatigue and shortness of breath all can be symptoms of this serious risk. You should not take Duetact if you are allergic to any of its ingredients, or if you've had an allergic reaction to other medications called sulfonamide derivatives. Tell your doctor about any drug allergies or medication reactions you've had in the past. 

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

If I need insulin to control my blood glucose, which type should I take?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Your insulin doses should mimic how insulin works naturally in the body. In people without diabetes,...
What are the side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Side effects of alpha-glucosidase inhibitors may include digestive tract problems, such as stomach p...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
How can I tell when my Novolin is no good to use?
Before every dose of Novolin, always make sure it is in good condition. Check the expiration dat...