What should I know about Victoza before taking it?

Victoza is used to control blood sugar levels in type 2 diabetics. Victoza should not be used for type 1 diabetes. Victoza should be used in conjunction with a diet and exercise regimen, as well as complete diabetic treatment that includes foot, eye, and dental care. If you are allergic to liraglutide or any of the ingredients in Victoza, you should not take this medication. If you have tumors in your endocrine glands, a family history of medullary thyroid cancer, or diabetic ketoacidosis, talk to your doctor before taking Victoza. If you have stomach problems that cause slow digestion, kidney or liver disease, high blood pressure, high triglycerides, or a history of pancreatitis, gallstones, or alcoholism, talk to your doctor before starting Victoza. Pregnant or breast-feeding women should talk to their doctor before using Victoza, as the risks to a developing fetus or nursing infant is unknown. Victoza may interact with other diabetes medications, particularly oral medication. Victoza may inhibit your body's ability to absorb any oral medication, so talk to your doctor about all medications you take, including prescriptions, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, and herbal supplements, before starting Victoza. You should never share your Victoza or injection needles with anyone else.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

What is exenatide for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Exenatide (brand name Byetta) is the first in a new class of drugs for the treatment of type 2 diabe...
What should I know before taking a sulfonylurea?
If you take a sulfonylurea, you should avoid alcohol. If you have renal insufficiency, you should n...
What are alpha-glucosidase inhibitors?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Alpha-glucosidase inhibitors slow the digestion of carbohydrates in the small intestine. Alpha-gluco...
How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...