What should I know about tolbutamide before taking it?

Tolbutamide (Tolinase) should be taken once a day, usually at breakfast. Some conditions may require twice a day, but that would be up to your doctor. Controlling your blood sugar is important to prevent heart disease, kidney malfunctions, stroke, circulation problems, blindness, and impotence. You may be able to control diabetes with proper exercise and a healthy diet, but if not, tolbutamide can help. When taking tolbutamide, you should have your blood glucose and your urine glucose monitored regularly. If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible and then get back on your regular schedule. If it is too close to your next dose, just skip it and take your next dose when it is due. If you have an allergy to tolbutamide, do not take it. If you are suffering from diabetic ketoacidosis, do not take tolbutamide. Never take this medication if you are a type 1 diabetic, as it does not replace insulin. If you have a heart problem you may want to talk to your doctor before taking tolbutamide. Tolbutamide may produce severe low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), especially when more medication is taken than prescribed. It can also cause hypoglycemia if you also have kidney or liver disorders, produce no adrenal or pituitary hormones, are run down, elderly or malnourished. If you are hungry, over-exercising, or taking other antidiabetic medications, you might have a severe drop in blood sugar when you take tolbutamide. When switching antidiabetic medication, talk with your doctor about the best way to do it. You might not notice symptoms of changes in blood sugar levels while taking medications such as beta blockers or calcium channel blockers. Symptoms of hyperglycemia are increased thirst, frequent urination, loss of appetite, nausea, drowsiness, vomiting, dry mouth and skin.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How should I distribute my insulin throughout the day?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Here is one formula that some people find helpful as a starting point for deciding how to distribute...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
What are thiazolidinediones?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
Thiazolidinediones (TZDs) address the body’s inability to use insulin effectively to control blood s...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...