What should I know about PrandiMet before taking it?

PrandiMet, a combination drug containing repaglinide and metformin HCl, is an oral medication available in tablet form used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Dosing of PrandiMet will vary from person to person as determined by the prescribing doctor. In general, PrandiMet is taken two or three times each day about 15 minutes before a meal. If a meal is skipped, that dose of medication should also be skipped and PrandiMet should be taken again with the next meal. The prescribing doctor often will have a person starting PrandiMet gradually increase the dose to the most effective amount of medicine. Monitoring of blood glucose levels is required.

This drug has been known to lead to a dangerous condition called lactic acidosis, which causes muscle weakness and irregular heart rate; this becomes more likely if you already have liver disease, congestive heart failure, or kidney disease. This medication can cause dangerously low blood sugar levels if you do not eat enough around the time you take PrandiMet. Medical conditions that may be complicated by PrandiMet include type 1 diabetes, kidney disease, and diabetic ketoacidosis. This drug may harm a developing fetus, so pregnant women should weigh the risks before taking this drug.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How much insulin do I need per gram of carbohydrate?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
The insulin to carbohydrate (I:C) equation takes into account the amount of 1 unit of rapid active i...
What should I know before taking pramlintide?
If you have diabetic gastropathy, you should not take pramlintide. Pramlintide increases the risk o...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...
Will I need to adjust my insulin to tightly manage my diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You will most likely have to make adjustments as you find the program that best suits you. You will ...