What should I know about PrandiMet before taking it?

PrandiMet, a combination drug containing repaglinide and metformin HCl, is an oral medication available in tablet form used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Dosing of PrandiMet will vary from person to person as determined by the prescribing doctor. In general, PrandiMet is taken two or three times each day about 15 minutes before a meal. If a meal is skipped, that dose of medication should also be skipped and PrandiMet should be taken again with the next meal. The prescribing doctor often will have a person starting PrandiMet gradually increase the dose to the most effective amount of medicine. Monitoring of blood glucose levels is required.

This drug has been known to lead to a dangerous condition called lactic acidosis, which causes muscle weakness and irregular heart rate; this becomes more likely if you already have liver disease, congestive heart failure, or kidney disease. This medication can cause dangerously low blood sugar levels if you do not eat enough around the time you take PrandiMet. Medical conditions that may be complicated by PrandiMet include type 1 diabetes, kidney disease, and diabetic ketoacidosis. This drug may harm a developing fetus, so pregnant women should weigh the risks before taking this drug.

Continue Learning about Antidiabetic

How do the diabetes drugs Byetta and Victoza affect weight?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
Since it was introduced in 2006, Byetta has been prescribed widely. Victoza was introduced in 2010 a...
How can I predict my body's use of injected insulin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Even if you eat the same amount and exercise the same amount every day, you won’t always be able to ...
What is Novolin?
Novolin (insulin human) is a form of man-made insulin -- a hormone normally produced in the panc...
What are sulfonylurea drugs?
Dr. Darria Long Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Long Gillespie, MD
Sulfonylureas lower blood glucose by stimulating beta cells in the pancreas to release insulin. Sulf...