Will taking nortriptyline make me have suicidal thoughts?

If you suffer from depression or another mental illness, you are at risk of thinking about suicide. Taking a drug like nortriptyline may add to your risk of thinking about suicide, especially if you or a family member is bipolar (your mood changes quickly from depressed to excited). Talk to your doctor about the pros and cons of taking nortriptyline based on your family medical and mental history. Your doctor may decide to try another option.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?