Will I start feeling better right after taking phenelzine?

If you are being treated for depression, you may be impatient to start feeling better right away. However, like many other antidepressants, phenelzine does not work instantly. It takes time for these medications to change the amounts of chemicals within the brain.

You will probably notice that your depression symptoms begin improving within the first few weeks of taking it. It may take as little as two weeks to notice changes, or it may take a month or longer.

If you have been taking phenelzine for more than six weeks and have not noticed any changes, let your doctor know--a change in the dosage may help.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What medications or supplements interact with amitriptyline?
If you are taking a 5-HT3 antagonist, an antipsychotic, lithium, metaxalone, methylphenidate, metocl...
Can antidepressants cause bone loss?
David Slovik, MDDavid Slovik, MD
Evidence is growing that serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), a popular class of antidepressan...
What are the side effects of amitriptyline?
Side effects may include drowsiness, agitation, dry mouth, blurred vision, urinary problems, constip...
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder treatment?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
It cannot be stressed enough that the use of antidepressants in bipolar I can provoke manic episodes...