Why might my antidepressant not work?

Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
As one of the most well prescribed types of drug of all time, over 160 million antidepressant prescriptions are written annually, despite the fact that a 2010 study in the Journal of the American Medical Association revealed antidepressants to be no more effective than placebos (sugar pills) in most cases of depression.

The reason why antidepressants do not work in most cases of depression is because these drugs target only one aspect of this complex condition: neurotransmitters, the brain's "mood molecules." When "feel-good" neurotransmitters like dopamine, epinephrine and serotonin are low, artificially raising the levels with the drugs can sometimes help in the minority of the most severe cases.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?