Why did my dose of Savella change during my first week on it?

Doctors often gradually increase the dose of the fibromyalgia drug Savella (milnacipran) during the first week of treatment to allow your body to adjust to the medicine and reduce side effects. Many doctors prescribe the following:
  • 12.5 milligram (mg) dose taken on the first day
  • the same dose taken twice daily on days two and three
  • a 25 mg dose taken twice daily on days four to seven
  • a 50 mg dose taken twice daily after day seven
The maximum recommended dosage is 100 mg twice daily. Take Savella exactly as prescribed by your doctor.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The s...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?