Who should not take Tofranil?

People who are taking drugs known as monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) should not take the antidepressant Tofranil (imipramine). Those who have had a heart attack should not take this drug either.

Tofranil may also not be appropriate for people who take other medications, including medications for heart arrhythmias, blood thinners, antihistamines, seizure drugs, cimetidine (an antacid), thyroid medication, other antidepressants and more. Be sure to give your doctor a complete list of all the drugs you’re taking.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How effective are antidepressants for treating hot flashes?
The effectiveness of antidepressants for treating hot flashes is variable. Some women experience com...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?