Who should not take escitalopram?

You should not take escitalopram if you are allergic to escitalopram or citalopram or any of the ingredients of escitalopram. You should not take escitalopram if you are taking or have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAO), including the antibiotic linezolid, within the last 14 days. You should not take escitalopram if you take the antipsychotic medicine pimozide (Orap), because taking this drug with escitalopram can cause serious heart problems.

Escitalopram is not approved for use in pediatric patients less than 12 years of age. Patients with liver or kidney problems or bleeding problems should avoid taking this medication. Also, people with bipolar disorder, a history of drug abuse, heart disease and seizures should not take escitalopram, as it can worsen these conditions.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
Is it safe to take antidepressants during pregnancy?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Most experts agree that some new-generation antidepressants (e.g., Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, Well...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?