When can I stop taking Savella?

You can stop taking Savella (milnacipran), a medication that treats fibromyalgia, when you and your doctor decide it is safe and helpful for you to do so. However, you can stay on Savella indefinitely, and your doctor may suggest you keep taking it as long as it helps control your symptoms.

Do not stop taking Savella without talking to your doctor first. Savella is a serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), like many antidepressants. As with other SNRIs, abruptly stopping this drug can cause withdrawal symptoms. When stopping the drug, carefully follow your doctor's instructions for gradually lowering your dose to minimize the risks of problems.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

How can antidepressants help with weight loss?
Some antidepressant drugs can control eating by easing anxiety, so that you don't experience the moo...
What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
How safe are sedating antidepressants for people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Oftentimes, doctors will use sedating antidepressants for sleep issues in people with dementia. A ve...
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...