When can I stop taking Paxil CR?

You can stop taking the antidepressant Paxil CR (an extended-release form of paroxetine) when your doctor says it is safe and recommended for you to do so. Most people who go on antidepressants need to stay on them for six to nine months, and some people need to take them even longer.

Paxil CR is used to treat depression, social anxiety disorder, panic disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder in adults, and some doctors prescribe it for other "off label" uses as well. Paxil CR works to improve these mental health problems by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in your brain.

If your symptoms have improved to a point where you feel you may be able to go off Paxil CR, talk to your doctor. Do not stop taking the medication on your own. Stopping Paxil CR abruptly may increase your risk of serious side effects. Your doctor may to reduce your dose to help you go off of the drug gradually, minimizing side effects.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
Why should I see my doctor regularly if I'm taking antidepressants?
Dr. Daniel G. Amen, MDDr. Daniel G. Amen, MD
If you are taking antidepressants, it's important to see your doctor every couple of weeks when firs...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?