When can I stop taking Celexa?

You can stop taking Celexa (citalopram) when your doctor says that it is safe and recommends for you to do so. Celexa is an antidepressant that's generally taken once a day. It treats depression by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain.

Some people need to take Celexa for a few weeks or months, while other people may need to stay on it longer. Whenever you stop, it's best to do it gradually; stopping this drug suddenly may cause serious withdrawal symptoms. When you are ready to stop taking Celexa, your doctor may taper your dose over a period of time to prevent these symptoms.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What are dual reuptake inhibitors?
Michael J. Mufson, MDMichael J. Mufson, MD
The dual reuptake inhibitors venlafaxine (Effexor) and duloxetine (Cymbalta) are a class of antidepr...
What are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
What should I know before taking doxepin?
It is not known if doxepin is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.  If y...
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...