When should I call my doctor if I am taking Effexor?

If you are taking the antidepressant Effexor (venlafaxine) call your doctor if you have disturbing mood changes, including new or worse depression, anxiety or irritability; thoughts about suicide; panic attacks; trouble sleeping; aggressive behavior; acting on dangerous impulses; and/or mania.

You should also call your doctor right away if you have a rash, hives, itching, difficulty breathing or swallowing, chest pain, a fast or irregular heartbeat, seizures, unusual bruising or bleeding, changes in your vision, and problems with coordination.

Before you take Effexor, ask your doctor to tell you about any other serious signs that you need prompt medical attention.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know before taking doxepin?
It is not known if doxepin is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.  If y...
How can antidepressants help with weight loss?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
Antidepressants are confusing when it comes to weight loss. Some of them have been shown to increase...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?