When should I call my doctor if my child is taking Celexa?

If your child is taking the antidepressant Celexa (citalopram), you should call the doctor for the following reasons:
  • Your child is exhibiting changes in mental health, including worsened depression, feelings of confusion or memory problems, extreme worry, agitation, restlessness, panic attacks, irritability, aggressive behavior, trouble falling or staying asleep or suicidal thoughts or behaviors. In studies, about 4% of children and teens who took Celexa experienced suicidal thoughts or attempted suicide. By comparison, among children and teens studied who did not take Celexa, about 2% experienced suicidal thoughts or actions.
  • You are considering giving your child another medication or supplement and you are not sure it is safe to take with Celexa. Certain drugs and supplements may interact with Celexa, possibly causing side effects. Be sure your child's doctor has a list of all medications (prescription and over-the-counter) and dietary and herbal supplements that your child takes.
  • Your child wants to stop taking Celexa. Stopping this drug suddenly may cause withdrawal symptoms. Your child's doctor may want to gradually lower his dose of Celexa to take him off the medication.
In addition to watching for changes in your child's mental health, you should also call the doctor if your child has any physical side effects, including:
  • symptoms of allergic reaction (trouble breathing, chest tightness, swelling in face, hands, mouth or throat)
  • decreased appetite, weight loss or slowed growth
  • skin rash, hives, blistering or peeling
  • symptoms of potential heart problems (chest pain, fast or slow heartbeat, difficulty breathing, dizziness or fainting)
  • flu-like symptoms (body aches, fever, chills, cough, sore throat)
  • increased thirst
  • increased urination
  • fainting or lightheadedness
  • headaches
  • numbness in an arm or leg or along one side of the body
  • seizures, tremors or balance problems
  • nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
  • increased sweating
  • weakness or unusual fatigue
  • unusual bleeding or bruising
  • low salt levels in the blood (which may cause headache, weakness, confusion or memory problems and unsteadiness)
  • hallucinations or other changes in mental status

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder treatment?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
It cannot be stressed enough that the use of antidepressants in bipolar I can provoke manic episodes...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?