What supplements should I avoid if I take Luvox?

If you take Luvox (fluvoxamine), a drug prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) and social anxiety disorder, you should avoid taking the following dietary supplements:
  • Tryptophan. This supplement may cause severe vomiting if you take it along with Luvox. The combination may also cause serotonin syndrome, a dangerous condition that can produce changes in blood pressure and heart rate and may result in coma.
  • Melatonin. This supplement has been shown to interact with other drugs in the same category as Luvox, making them less effective. It may not be safe to take with Luvox.
  • S-Adenosylmethionine (SAMe). This supplement may increase the risk of side effects from Luvox or other drugs like it.
  • St. John's wort. This herb may increase risk of side effects from Luvox. The combination may cause serotonin syndrome.
Before beginning treatment with Luvox, give your doctor a list of all medications (prescription and nonprescription) and herbal and dietary supplements that you take. Once you are taking Luvox, do not take any new medication or supplement without talking with your doctor first.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know before taking doxepin?
It is not known if doxepin is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.  If y...
How effective are antidepressants for treating hot flashes?
The effectiveness of antidepressants for treating hot flashes is variable. Some women experience com...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?