What are the side effects of desipramine hydrochloride?

There are a variety of side effects that may occur while taking desipramine hydrochloride. In children and teenagers, there is the potential for increased thoughts or attempts of suicide. Physical side effects include needing to go to the bathroom urgently, problems going to the bathroom, eye pain, changes in vision, swelling or redness in the eye, impaired coordination, sex drive changes, dry mouth, high or low blood pressure, hives, irregular or fast heartbeat, tremors, bruising easily, muscle stiffness, skin rash, jaundice, and a tingling feeling. Psychological side effects may be anxiety, confusion, and hallucinations. Other side effects include dizziness and sensitivity to light. Many of these side effects can become serious, so be sure to talk to your doctor if any of them worry you or seem unusual.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

How can I choose an antidepressant?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
The best way to decide on which antidepressant to take is by educating yourself about what options a...
What should I know before taking tricyclic antidepressants?
Some tricyclic antidepressants may not be safe or effective for children and adolescents. Consult in...
What should I know before taking doxepin?
It is not known if doxepin is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.  If y...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?