What should I know about Lexapro before taking it?

The antidepressant medication Lexapro is approved for use in treating Major Depressive Disorder in adolescents and adults and for treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder in adults. The safety and effectiveness of this medication for use in children under age 12 has not been proven. Tell your doctor about any allergic reactions to this or other medications, foods, chemicals, animals, or environmental factors. Medications may work differently in different individuals and any risks should be weighed against the benefits. Never stop taking your medication without the approval of your doctor.  

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

how do tricyclic antidepressants treat low back pain ?
The tricyclic antidepressants amitriptyline (Elavil, Endep) and nortriptyline (Aventyl, Pamelor) are...
what are the side effects of nortriptyline ?
You may not be able to take nortriptyline (name brands: Aventyl, Pamelor) and drive, which is a huge...
how can i stop taking antidepressant medications safely ?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
why should i see my doctor regularly if i am taking antidepressants ?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If medication for depression is necessary, expect to have regular appointments with the physicia...