What should I know about Lexapro before taking it?

The antidepressant medication Lexapro is approved for use in treating Major Depressive Disorder in adolescents and adults and for treating Generalized Anxiety Disorder in adults. The safety and effectiveness of this medication for use in children under age 12 has not been proven. Tell your doctor about any allergic reactions to this or other medications, foods, chemicals, animals, or environmental factors. Medications may work differently in different individuals and any risks should be weighed against the benefits. Never stop taking your medication without the approval of your doctor.  

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I help prevent weight gain from antidepressant medication?
Brooke RandolphBrooke Randolph
If you find yourself troubled by weight gain as a side effect of antidepressant medication, ther...
Why might my antidepressant not work?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
All depressions are not the same. This may explain why some antidepressants work better in some peop...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?