What is Savella used for?

Savella (milnacipran) is a medication prescribed to treat fibromyalgia. It belongs to a class of drugs called selective serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), most of which are approved to treat depression. People with fibromyalgia typically have ongoing pain, muscle stiffness and tenderness, tiredness and trouble sleeping. Savella and other SNRIs work by boosting the brain chemicals serotonin and norepinephrine, which suppress pain signals and help regulate mood.

Because Savella is chemically similar to drugs used for depression, people taking this medicine must be careful to watch for side effects that can occur with certain antidepressants -- most dangerously an increase in suicidal thoughts and actions among young adults, adolescents and children.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?