What are the risks of taking milnacipran?

Although milnacipran is not typically used to treat depression, it contains medicine that is used in common antidepressants. For this reason, milnacipran may carry the same risks as antidepressants. Studies show that a small number of young people who use antidepressants begin to think about harming themselves or committing suicide. It is not clear that taking milnacipran or any antidepressant medications will cause you to have suicidal thoughts. However, you should discuss any changes in your mental state while taking this drug with a doctor. Milnacipran may also raise blood pressure and cause other side effects.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What are disadvantages of antidepressants for bipolar disorder treatment?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
It cannot be stressed enough that the use of antidepressants in bipolar I can provoke manic episodes...
Can I have a good sex life if I'm on antidepressants?
Jan L. Shifren, MDJan L. Shifren, MD
You don't need to sacrifice your sex life in order to treat depression. Some newer antidepressan...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?