What are reasons to take the antidepressant Savella if I am not depressed?

Savella (milnacipran), a drug prescribed to treat fibromyalgia, is an antidepressant belonging to a class of drugs called serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs). Serotonin and norepinephrine are natural chemicals involved in depression, but they also play an important role in damping down pain signals. By increasing the amount of serotonin and norepinephrine, Savella reduces the pain of fibromyalgia.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
Do tricyclic antidepressants interact with any other medications?
If you are taking any of the following medications, tricyclic antidepressants can lead to side effec...
What medications should I avoid if I take antidepressants?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
Interactions between antidepressants and other medications vary depending on the antidepressant. The...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?