What is Paxil CR used for?

Paxil CR (paroxetine) is an extended-release version of an antidepressant medication. The tablet is formulated to dissolve slowly, delivering a steady amount of medicine to the body throughout the course of a day.

Paxil CR belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, or SSRIs, which treat depression and other mental health disorders by adjusting the level of the chemical serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is involved in regulating mood, sleep, appetite and pain. Paxil CR is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for treating major depressive disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder and premenstrual dysphoric disorder in adults.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
Should I Take Antidepressants If I Smoke?