What is Parnate?

Parnate (tranylcypromine) is a medication approved to treat depression but is also prescribed for anxiety, especially social anxiety and panic disorder. It belongs to a group of medications called monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs), which are usually prescribed only when other drugs haven't been effective. Parnate changes the levels of particular chemicals in your brain and nervous system and can have dangerous side effects. While taking Parnate you should avoid certain foods and medications, and be closely monitored by a healthcare professional.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What should I know about antidepressants before I take them?
Dr. Darria Gillespie, MDDr. Darria Gillespie, MD
If you take an SRI, you should avoid alcohol. If you have had seizures, an SRI may not be a good op...
What medications or supplements interact with amitriptyline?
If you are taking a 5-HT3 antagonist, an antipsychotic, lithium, metaxalone, methylphenidate, metocl...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?