What is Luvox used for?

Luvox (fluvoxamine) is a medicine prescribed to treat obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) in adults and children ages 8 to 17. It may also be used to treat social anxiety disorder in some people.

It belongs to a category of drugs called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), which work by raising the level of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain. Serotonin is thought to have many functions, including regulating mood.

Luvox may be prescribed alone or in addition to cognitive behavior therapy. Talk to your doctor for more information about Luvox.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
What antidepressants can I take if I have multiple sclerosis (MS)?
Multiple Sclerosis FoundationMultiple Sclerosis Foundation
If you have multiple sclerosis (MS), various classes of medications exist to treat depression. The s...
Why might my antidepressant not work?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
All depressions are not the same. This may explain why some antidepressants work better in some peop...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?