What should I know about Tofranil before taking it?

There are several things you should know before you take the antidepressant Tofranil (imipramine):
  • In children and young adults (under age 24), Tofranil may worsen depression symptoms and even trigger thoughts of suicide. Stay in close touch with your doctor and family, who can help you watch for signs that your depression is becoming more severe.
  • If you have signs of heart disease, you'll need to be monitored regularly while taking Tofranil. If you’ve recently had a heart attack, you shouldn’t take the drug at all.
  • Tofranil may make you more sensitive to sunlight, so use sunscreen, wear a hat and cover up as much as you can when out in the sun.
  • There's some evidence that imipramine may cause birth defects. Tell your doctor if you're pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
  • Tofranil may interfere with blood sugar control, so if you have diabetes you'll need to be especially careful about monitoring your blood sugar.
  • Tofranil can make you sleepy, so don’t plan on driving or operating machinery until you know how it affects you. Alcohol can make drowsiness worse.
  • Smoking can make Tofranil less effective.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

What should I know about nortriptyline before taking it?
Nortriptyline may increase the risk of suicide in children and adolescents. If you have a seizure d...
What is nortriptyline?
Nortriptyline (Pamelor) is an antidepressant that can help people quit smoking. But it has not been ...
How effective is doxepin at treating insomnia?
Sleep studies have shown that people taking doxepin wake up fewer times at night and spend less time...
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...