What should I know about Remeron before taking it?

Before using Remeron (mirtazapine), you should know why it is being prescribed and its potential risks and benefits. You should also know that, like other antidepressants, Remeron can increase suicidal thoughts or actions -- especially in young adults, teenagers and children. This is most likely to occur in the first few months on the drug or after the dose is changed. You should call your doctor right away if you begin having thoughts of suicide or dying, act aggressively or violently, have panic attacks, feel restless or hyperactive or have any other signs of worsening mood or behavior.

Remeron may interact with other medications. Before you start taking it, tell your doctor about all your medicines (prescription and nonprescription), supplements and herbal remedies. Once treatment begins, check with your doctor before taking any new medication or supplement. Also know that Remeron cannot be used within two weeks of taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI), because the combination can cause a life-threatening reaction known as serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome can also be caused by a reaction between Remeron and amino acid supplements containing tryptophan, triptan medicines prescribed to treat migraines, St. John's wort or many medicines that treat mental illnesses, so your doctor may advise you to avoid these while taking Remeron.

If you experience any side effects from Remeron, call your doctor. Do not stop taking Remeron without talking to your doctor first, because stopping abruptly may cause withdrawal symptoms.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How is doxepin used to treat insomnia?
Doxepin is a drug usually used to treat depression. The version for treating insomnia (Silenor) is a...
Should I keep taking antidepressants after I start feeling better?
John Preston, PsyDJohn Preston, PsyD
If you’re taking antidepressant medications, continue to do so even when you feel that the depre...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?