What should I know before my child uses Effexor-XR?

Effexor XR (venlafaxine extended-release) is an antidepressant. Antidepressants have been associated with suicidal thoughts in a small number of children, adolescents and young adults. Effexor is not approved for kids under age 18 -- although a doctor may prescribe it for a child if it appears to be the best treatment.

If your child is prescribed Effexor XR, make sure you understand how this medication may affect him, especially at the beginning of treatment or if his dosage is changed. Besides depression, Effexor XR is used to treat generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety and panic attacks.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can antidepressants help with weight loss?
Some antidepressant drugs can control eating by easing anxiety, so that you don't experience the moo...
What are possible side effects of tricyclic antidepressants?
Side effects may include dry mucous membranes, blurred vision, constipation, and trouble urinating. ...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?