What should I know before my child uses Effexor-XR?

Effexor XR (venlafaxine extended-release) is an antidepressant. Antidepressants have been associated with suicidal thoughts in a small number of children, adolescents and young adults. Effexor is not approved for kids under age 18 -- although a doctor may prescribe it for a child if it appears to be the best treatment.

If your child is prescribed Effexor XR, make sure you understand how this medication may affect him, especially at the beginning of treatment or if his dosage is changed. Besides depression, Effexor XR is used to treat generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety and panic attacks.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

Are Antidepressants Safe to Take During Pregnancy?
Research suggests that depression is diagnosed twice as often in women as it is in men, and it typically presents during a woman’s childbearing years....
How can I stop taking antidepressant medications safely?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Antidepressant medications need to be tapered and should only be done with consultation of your doct...
How long does it take for antidepressants to start working?
Michael D. Banov, MDMichael D. Banov, MD
In research studies that carefully measure when positive results from antidepressant therapy are see...
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?
What Is Treatment-Resistant Depression?