What should I know before my child uses Tofranil?

Before giving your child Tofranil (imipramine), you should know that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved it only for use in children to treat bedwetting, and only for kids over 6. However, it's sometimes prescribed for children for other conditions, including depression. Once a drug is FDA approved, doctors can prescribe it to anyone for any condition, a practice known as off-label use.

If your doctor suggests Tofranil to treat your child’s depression or bedwetting, you should know that this drug, like other antidepressants, may increase the risk of suicidal thoughts in children and young adults. If, after carefully weighing the risks and benefits of treatment with your doctor, you decide to proceed, be sure to carefully monitor your child for side effects, including increased irritability, agitation and unusual changes in behavior or mood.

Continue Learning about Antidepressant

How safe are tricyclic antidepressants for people with dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Tricyclic antidepressants are used as second-line medications for depression in people with dementia...
How can antidepressants help with weight loss?
Some antidepressant drugs can control eating by easing anxiety, so that you don't experience the moo...
How should I take antidepressants if I have bipolar disorder?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Most guidelines recommend an antidepressant only if in combination with a mood stabilizer (e.g. lith...
What antidepressants are used to treat Alzheimer's disease?
John H. Growdon, MDJohn H. Growdon, MD
Here is a list of the antidepressant medications used for Alzheimer's disease and their correspo...